Seizures | Romanucci & Blandin
If your newborn is suffering from seizures, it can be an indication that there is serious neurological damage that was caused by a birth-related injury. A seizure happens when there is an abnormal electrical discharge in the brain, caused by either nerve damage or a problem with the brain’s chemistry. A seizure can cause the body to jerk involuntarily for a few second up to a few minutes. If your baby is suffering from seizures, it needs to be diagnosed immediately and treated so there will not be any permanent damage.
What are Types of Seizures that a Newborn can Suffer From?
There are four different categories of seizures that a newborn can suffer from. Those types include:
- Clonic seizures: this type of seizure comprises approximately 25% of newborn seizures. This is characterized by a slow rhythmic jerk in one body part.
- Myoclonic seizures: this type of seizure involves jerking movements or rapid twitching and this type of seizure could be indicative of severe brain damage. Myoclonic seizures affect premature babies the most.
- Subtle seizures: this type of seizure is difficult to see. Subtle seizures are common with premature infants and are the most frequent type of seizure. Subtle seizures make up roughly 50% of newborn seizures.
- Tonic seizures: this type of seizure affects 5% of infant seizures and can cause sustained contractions. Babies who suffer from this type of seizure may stop breathing for a short period of time and their eyes may roll up.
What Causes Seizures and How are They Diagnosed??
There are several different things that can cause a newborn to have a seizure. This includes:
- Hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) or birth asphyxia
- Prolonged second stage of labor
- Traumatic brain injury
The main type of testing to diagnose a seizure is an EEG. During this test, electrodes are put onto your baby’s head for a short time and those electrodes will read the electrical activity of the baby’s brain and show what changes occur over time. The results will show up on the screen and can also be printed out on strips.
Free Consultation with a Chicago Birth Injury Attorney
RB Law has vast experience with handling birth injury cases for problems resulting from seizures. If your baby has suffered from a birth injury as the result of a seizure caused by medical negligence, you need to contact a proficient birth injury attorney right away to help you get the compensation you deserve.
If you have questions regarding your birth injury case, contact us today for a free consultation at (312) 458-1000, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.